Get into Teaching
How to get into Teaching with North East Schools Teaching Alliance…
For a September 2020 start North East Schools Teaching Alliance will be offering School Direct ITT places to teach in the Primary age range (KS1&2) and Secondary age range (KS3&4 with some KS5) in English; Maths; Physics; Chemistry; Geography; History; Modern Foreign Languages (French / German); Computer Science & Design Technology.
North East Schools Teaching Alliance works in partnership with Northumbria University & successful trainees qualify with QTS and a PGCE (including 60 credits at Masters level). Trainees collect evidence to show that they have met the Teachers’ Standards and undertake 3 assignments through the year.
Training is 4 days a week in the classroom (Monday – Thursday) with Friday being a training day in North East Schools Teaching Alliance or at Northumbria University. As a small provider, North East Schools Teaching Alliance is able to provide bespoke training to meet individual needs with all trainees being supported by experienced mentors.
Qualifications Required (by the start of the programme – September 2020)
- GCSE English (For Primary & Secondary trainees or equivalent)
- GCSE Maths (for Primary & Secondary trainees or equivalent)
- GCSE Science (for Primary trainees only or equivalent)
- Degree qualification (or equivalent).
- Preferably minimum of a 2:1 in a related subject.
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement – SKE – programmes are available if degree is not in subject trainee wishes to teach)
- Some experience in the classroom – preferably at least 10 days working in the age range you wish to teach. (North East Schools Teaching Alliance can help organise this).
- Acceptable DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
The Next Steps…
|1.||Visit North East Schools Teaching Alliance – Contact Nicki Smith to arrange a chat to see if North East Schools Teaching Alliance is the right provider for you.|
|2.||Apply via UCAS – from mid-October|
|3.||Find North East Schools Teaching Alliance on UCAS website|
|4.||Complete Your Application|
|5.||North East Schools Teaching Alliance shortlist applicants|
|6.||Attend Interview – which will include: introduction, time in a classroom supporting students, discussion of a pre-planned lesson/resources with interview panel, interview questions.|
|7.||Offers made – Conditional on meeting criteria|
|9.||Northumbria University Induction Day – early July|
|10.||North East Schools Teaching Alliance Induction Day – Late August|
|11.||Course Commences – Start of September|
|12.||Course Concludes – June. Successful trainees qualify with QTS & PGCE|
|13.||Northumbria Graduation / North East Schools Teaching Alliance Celebration Event – July|
|14.||Start Job as NQT on a starting salary of currently £24k – September|